Friday, August 31, 2012
I went hiking today and shot some test plates. One for the Second Coming, and one where 150 lbs hailstones will fall from the sky. While I’ve shot greenscreen before, and am pretty good at visualizing what will be in the scene, I found it more difficult to visualize and frame for objects that don’t exist yet. I will be practicing this more in the near future. Once my dog and I got back home, I threw the Second Coming shot into AE. Since my laptop had crashed, this is on my 9 year old desktop, the one with a Celeron chip and 2 gigs of RAM. I would love to get CS6 on here, but I don’t think it’ll run well, so I’m stuck with CS4. In any case, the image below took 4 seconds to render on this machine. The process is as follows:
First, I blew out the sky and created a luma matte from the original shot. Next, I graded the original shot to be night using Colorista II. Then I added the starfield (used Particular for the stars), ripped the starfield in the center, added a shot of some nebula thing, then added a cloud, the rainbow, and a VC Optical Flare.
While it’s not perfect yet, I think I have the mechanics down on what needs to be done. I’ll do a few more before we shoot it, just to be sure. Next up is the shot of the hailstones 🙂