Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Had my friend Kim come over today to shoot the news reporter scenes. We shot it greenscreen and used my laptop as a teleprompter by using “Prompt 7.0”. After a bit of coaching, Kim caught on pretty quick to reading from the screen and how to move her head to hide the fact she was reading. She also did a great job with a Spanish accent. Why the accent? To help open up the movie so it doesn’t seem like it’s all American. For sound, I decided to shoot dual system because her lines were basically mini monologues. We used the Yeti, and since the shots are going to be a news style setting, I just set it on the desk in front of her. The audio was recorded onto my music computer and we used my clapperboard to slate the takes. It was our first day shooting with the Rebel ML as I’m now calling it (a Rebel T2i running Magic Lantern) and had no issues with it.
I did however have some issues with the transfer and backup process. My backup drive took the footage just fine, but I spent nearly two hours trying to make it work with my primary. Finally I did succeed with getting at least the takes I needed. Coincidentally, When I went to see how much footage I shot, I saw that I had used 6.66 GB of space on my 16 GB card. On the last film, I had problems with file 666. The digital demons are back harassing us again. Good. It means I’m doing something right.